This is a tried and true recipe !! if you want to satisfy your sweet tooth, you cannot go wrong here. This is the way my Mother always made, just give a shot it won’t fail you !
French Toast Casserole is a incredible breakfast that is always hit with family and guests. You make this breakfast casserole night before so you can enjoy that delicious French toast in oven in morning!To Make this Recipe You’ Will Need the following ingredients::
° 1 loaf of thick French bread or Texas toast
° 8 eggs
° 2 cups half and half
° 1/2 cup of milk
° 3 tablespoons of caster sugar
° 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
° 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
° 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
° 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Cinnamon Crunch Topping:
° 1 1/2 butter 12 tbsp
° 1 cup pack brown sugar
° 1 tsp corn syrup optional
° 1 tsp ground cinnamon
° 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
– Preparing 9″x13″ baking plate by coating entire inside of dish with butter or cooking spray. Put apart.
– Slice French bread about 1 inch thick. Arrange the slices in your prepared baking dish in rows, overlapping the slices. Put aside.
– In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Adding half , milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg // salt. Whisk to well blended.
– Pour the egg mixture over the slices of bread, making sure they are well coated. Pour some of the mixture between the slices, making sure all the slices are completely covered. Covering with aluminum foil & refrigerate overnight.
– The next day, preheat the oven to 350°F.Carefully flip every piece of bread to making sure all is nice & coated with mixture.
Prepare the filling:
– Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Pour the filling over the prepared bread slices. Then spread evenly over the bread (as if icing a cake).
– Bake for 35 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned.